Garage sale signs are popping up around town each weekend. You wonder if you should clear out your clutter with a garage sale. Then the questions start.
- Do you have enough items?
- Do you have the time?
- Do you want to take the time?
- Is it even worth the effort?
Most people have strong feelings about whether they should have a garage sale or not. Many enjoy shopping other people’s sales but consider it way to much work to set up their own. They would rather donate or give away their clutter.
We will look at several different ways to get rid of the clutter from your home. Then you can decide which way will work best for your situation.
Why Clutter Accumulates
Most people with clutter problems tend to avoid taking the time to clear out a few old things when they bring new things into their home. This kind of habit causes clutter to accumulate until it takes over. When it reaches this point it is time to take action to reclaim your home.
Ways to Get Rid of Your Clutter
In many cases the people who don’t have garage sales have developed the habit of decluttering a few items at a time and either give them away or donate them to a charity. If you follow the “one in, one out” rule then chances are you won’t have enough items at any one time to have a sale.
If you have a lot of items then here are three different ways to get rid of them.
- You can donate or give away a few items at a time. This can take several months or longer to reach the point of a decluttered home. You would also need to limit the amount of new items you bring into your home during this time.
- If you want to get rid of most of your items within a week or two then you will need to set aside large blocks of time to do it. You will also need to haul carloads of items off to the charity or have one pick it all up. When donating to a charity you can take a tax deduction if you itemize your tax return.
- The third way is to have a garage sale. The advantage to this way is that you can make a little extra money while at the same time your customers haul off a fair amount of your items. This will reduce the amount you have to take to the charity yourself.
Another advantage is that you can get rid of all the things you know the charity won’t take but you hate throwing away. This may include left over construction materials, partially used craft supplies, and those free promotional items that came with the kid’s meals and other purchases. Don’t try to sell these things. Instead give them away for free. That will keep some of it out of the landfills. If no one wants those items for free you’ll know they are trash. Throw them away.
Should You Sell or Donate?
If you answer yes to all of the following questions then it may be worthwhile to have a garage sale. If you answer no, then it’s probably better to donate or give away your items.
- Do you like having garage sales for money and/or decluttering?
- Do you have a lot of items to sell?
- Do you have a lot of time to plan, set up, and take down the sale?
- Do you have someone that can assist you before, during, and after the sale?
- Do you have a date in the near future that you can commit to?
Having a garage sale is only one way to get rid of your clutter. It can be a great tool to help you clear out a lot of items you no longer use or need plus make a little money in the process. Committing to a date for the sale can be highly motivating to clear out items in a short period of time without procrastinating.
Only you can decide if it is worth all the work and time involved for a sale or if it is easier to just donate your clutter. Either way the goal is to reduce the amount of clutter in your home in a way that works best for you.